Thursday, March 6, 2008

"Getting Things Done"

I came across this post while perusing info on 43 Folders.
So you sprint from fire to fire, praying you haven’t forgotten anything, sapped of anything like creativity or even the basic human flexibility to adapt your own schedule to the needs of your friends, your family or yourself. Your “stuff” has taken over your brain like a virus now, dragging down every process it touches and rendering you spent and virtually useless. Sound familiar?
So how does Getting Things Done work? 43 Folders offers a quick version:
  1. identify all the stuff in your life that isn’t in the right place (close all open loops)
  2. get rid of the stuff that isn’t yours or you don’t need right now
  3. create a right place that you trust and that supports your working style and values
  4. put your stuff in the right place, consistently
  5. do your stuff in a way that honors your time, your energy, and the context of any given moment
  6. iterate and refactor mercilessly
Go check it out. I dare you to simplify your life somehow, someway...today. I'll keep you posted on how its working for me. Now go workout! :)

a.m. workout: 30 minute tempo run; weights - legs and back
p.m. workout: swim 2000 yds

1 comment:

Shelley said...

This is what I need - my husband was just complaining last night that I don't have enough time for him because i'm too busy running, etc. Of course, I get a little board sitting on the couch watching tv with him when he doesn't want to talk or anything...and feel like i'm wasting time that i could be doing something.