Monday, May 11, 2009

Dare Greatly!

Dare Greatly!

It is not he critic who counts nor the man who points out how the strong man tumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better, the credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood. Who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat!

~ Theodore Roosevelt

I am on a quest and need your help. I have recently diagnosed myself with 70.3 eating disease. What is that? Well, I eat more than I should. I'm hungry all the time, which is not a bad thing because of all the exercise, but it's the "bad" food choices and the "overeating" I am making that I need help with. I am in training for the Ironman Kansas 70.3 so I do need to make sure I fuel the sport not go on a "diet". IM KS is 5 weeks away. I would like to drop 10 lbs by then, but am not sure I can do that and have the strength to train and compete. So I'm aiming for 5 lbs. My plan is to use my blog to track my progress and hopefully all you healthy runners and bikers and triathletes can support me along the way. I have joined Weight Watchers online to count points - eating and exercise. I'll update again later on how the day goes.

Today's workout: 1500 yd swim, 3 mile run, 30 mile bike ride. RUN ON!

13 comments:

FLATOUT JIM said...

You are sure to invite some heated debate on this topic.

I have always found that I drop more weight closer to my biggest race. Partly because I am getting stricter, and not eating as much junk, partly because I am upping the intensity, even though the volume drops. This is better explained by Chris Carmichael.

I would make sure to take in lots of fruit and veggies for carbs. Be careful not to take in too much starch, and avoid sugar.

Weight watchers is good, but it is not designed for a half ironman training athlete.

We'll keep you honest. I am confident you will be 5 to 7 pounds lighter by race day.

Marlene said...

I'm also sitting about 10 lbs heaver than I like (although I could easily spare 20 lbs).

I find it so difficult in training because I'm hungry constantly and have trouble finding the time to make the healthiest choices.

Good luck to you!

carrie said...

I gained weight when I was training for my last marathon, which drove me crazy because I was burning all those calories running! Points tracking worked for me...but I think it's important to eat the activity points considering the amount of energy you are expending. Good luck!

Renee said...

I think weight watchers is the greatest because it does give you credit for activity which means you will not be starving yourself while training! I also think that it encourages the eating of lots of fruits and veggies. You will do fantastic I am sure!

Missy said...

Eat for fuel, eat for fuel! Only eat for fuel at this point. It's hard because there's nothing better than a pizza and beer after a long, hard ride BUT just think FUEL. What will get me through my next workout successfully?

Jessica said...

when I was looking to shred some lbs for boston I followed three or four rules.

-no eating after 7 pm
-try to make all carbs whole grain or whole wheat
-no sugar that does not occur naturally in foods (Fruit, eg)
-no alcohol during the week.

It really helped!

Jo Lynn said...

I am going to be of NO HELP at all on this. I'm sorry. I eat totally crappy, making wrong food choices by the minute. It's a miracle I don't weigh 300+ pounds. I have to use my willpower for the things that really matter, not food choices. ;)

Lisa said...

Have you started logging your food on an online site? I used http://www.thedailyplate.com/ (but there are several other sites just like it). The online log gives all the nutritional value, including percentage of protein vs. carbs etc. Logging everything really made me think about my food as fuel.

good luck!

Jessica said...

I am one of those girls that gains weight when training for big events. Now that I am focusing on short, high intensity work, I am the smallest I have been in YEARS.
Have you read Paleo Diet for Athletes? I recommend it as a starting point but I think the MOST important thing to remember is that you probably need to eat a lot more fat and a lot less carbs than you currently do.
Email me if you want to disuss this any farther...it's one of my favorite topics!

Kim said...

PLEASE make sure you include enough 'points' for all the exercising that you're doing.

Be careful trying to lose weight right now. You're body really needs the fuel. Just be sure to eat the right things.

Michelle said...

Good luck sista!

I would love to lose 10lbs as well I never thought about weight watchers but that is a good option.

GOOD LUCK!!

Anonymous said...

There may be significantly misunderstandings between people, after they contact about stocks and the stock exchange. Nevertheless, as with all other subject in everyday life, the more you realize the easier it gets to understand. If you take time to learn about stock market trading, then you should have no issue discovering achievement in it. Privileged for yourself this article is a great place to start. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Spidfdbs4ny[/url]

Anonymous said...

If you like the flavor of gourmet coffee, nevertheless, you prevent it due to it giving you the jitters, you ought to move to a brand name of coffee that fails to have caffeine intake. It is possible to ingest all the gourmet coffee as you would like with out stressing about receiving a huge caffeine intake speed. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Appenffk8dti[/url]