Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Female Touch

Taken from the Lincoln Journal Star, Sunday's edition 11.09.08, experts claim "it's worth it to understand how women shop". Check out these statistics from Winning the Toughest Customer: The Essential Guide to Selling to Women:

Women purchase 83% of all products and services, including...
  • 80% of all health care [do tummy tucks count? :)]
  • 55% of bank choice [crisp bills only please - lol]
  • 50% of all business travel [5 Star Hotels]
  • 65% of herbal remedies, vitamins and minerals [runners daily "gotta have it"]
  • 66% of all autos and influence 85% of purchases [sun roof and iPod hook up is vital]
  • 50% of all computers [love my MAC]
  • 90% of all jewelry, perfume and related items [bling! bling!]
I know, I know, men you are not shoppers, but may find the stats interesting especially regarding the auto purchases.

My goals today: stay warm, teach spin class, prepare for snow [it's supposed to snow 2-6" today] BRRRR!

I'm down 5 lbs for Mr. Q's Weight Loss Challenge. The easy part for me is now over. The other 11 lbs I want to lose are going to be a huge challenge. I'm ramping up the cycling, easing back on the running and now on a regular weight lifting routine. I need need to focus on lowering my body fat % instead of weight as the activities I'm doing have the power to increase my weight [muscle weighs more than fat - that's a good thing] So, I was at Sam's the other day and came across this scale that not only measures your current weight, but your body fat %. It was $30, so worth a shot. Well, you get what you pay for. My body fat% registered as Er3. hmmmm. Obviously an error. An error we are having trouble remedying. So the scale is going back today. Wondering if I'll have any influence on purchasing the $150 top dog BMI/body fat/lb scale? :)

Hope you all had a great weekend! Stay warm.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have one of the Tanita scales that includes a body fat monitor. I know it was less than $50, but don't remember exactly what it cost. I'm not sure it's accurate (as in I think it registers my body fat higher than it is), but I find it useful for comparison and do feel that when it shows a body fat decrease it's showing a real decrease. (Did that makes sense? LOL) Good job on the weight loss. I've only lost one pound officially, but I went up the day after I turned in my weight, so I'm really down three for the week. And yeah, I'm into the difficult last 5 pounds now. Sigh.

Brad Braden said...

yeah woman are big shoppers. It ticks me off how cheep a lot of womans cloths are.. I go buy a pair of pants, shirt and tie for work and I'm pushing a grand.. the girlfriend comes home with a great outfit for $40!! wtf!

Cheers.

Unknown said...

I don't know what to think of the scales that give out a body fat %. They seem to fluctuate a lot and I just don't see how that is possible.

joyRuN said...

Snow? Sheesh - stay warm!!

My MIL's scale has the body fat %age on it - I don't think they're supposed to be that accurate. But as long as I see mine trending south, I'm a happy camper.

Marcy said...

Ooooo killer on the weight loss. Very nice ;D ;D

Shoe Running said...

You are 1/3 of the way to your goal! Rock on! :) I've got about the same amount I want to get rid of (10-15lbs). Yesh! I think it is really the toughest part to trim off. Our bodies don't want to give it up. :)