Friday, June 12, 2009

Foto Friday

The last few weeks have been nothing but prep for IMKS. The physical training has become a piece of cake - I'll let you know how that cake tastes on Sunday - but I started to add the mental training. I focused on what it was going to look like, feel like, and sound like. I posed scenarios and asked myself how I was going to handle them.

Throughout all my training, running, biking and swimming, I always come back to one day which I feel has set the theme for my mental strength training: the day I rode with Phil Keoghan. Ok, yeah, I know he's famous and all that. But more importantly was the challenges we faced that day on the road. It was cold. It was windy. 25mph+ winds, not at our backs, but in our face. There was more than once I wanted to "uncle out". I don't "uncle out". I don't give up. So you know the conditions were tough.

I had to dig down deep into my heart and decide that no matter how tough it was or was going to get, I was going to finish this. So the question was: how bad do you want this. It's not about riding with Phil, it's about completing this ride in extremely adverse conditions.

Of course I finished the day and was on cloud nine for several weeks because I rode with Phil, but the day set the tone for all my training since. I conquered the hardest battle: overcoming that brief second where I wanted to quit.

So, when I'm competing this weekend in IMKS, there will not even be a brief second when it gets tough that I will ask myself "why are you doing this" or "I wish I could just 'uncle out'". I will be asking/telling myself "you have more in you, give it all you got because when you are done, you know in your heart that you want to have given 300% blood and guts to this race - now dig deeper and kick it up a notch!".

Todays foto tribute is to Phil!


Ok, so here is a silly one. Don't ever let this happen to you...

Foto up? In your comment, please put a link to your Foto Friday post - it would really help me out! Thanks! Have a great weekend!

9 comments:

Diana said...

Great story, can't wait to hear all about the race!
Good luck!

foto friday:
www.marinette-lucyfan.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Mine is up. Have a great weekend!

Kim said...

Okay...so for real...just saying'...there is not going to be a time at IMKS that you'll even THINK about uncling out. You'll be through it so fast, you won't know what hit you. I think you should be training for a true Ironman, baby, not this half crap! LOL!!

I Run for Fun said...

Good luck! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Marlene said...

Good luck this weekend!

Ashley said...

GOOD LUCK at IMKS!!! Lots going of races in the area this weekend!!

raulgonemobile said...

Great story! Good luck at IMKS!

Aka Alice said...

I live in fear that the silly picture will be me (it probably already has happened, but nobody has taken a picture...that I know of)

Can't wait to hear about your race. Have a great weekend.

Here's my foto-friday link:

http://hefferblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/light-boredom.html

Trishie said...

I got goosebumps reading this !! I didn't realize IMKS was so soon !!