Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Toughest 3 Pounds in Weight Loss

Tip of the week: The toughest 3 pounds in weight loss

The toughest 3 pounds when trying to lose weight are likely not what you’re thinking. They are not the first few pounds lost in a program and they are not the last. They are not in your thighs, your gut, or your butt. No, the most difficult 3 pounds to deal with are directly between your ears.

Your brain is the biggest obstacle to overcome in regards to weight loss. In theory, weight loss is incredibly simple, eat a little less and exercise a little more. So what’s the problem? The problem is that our brains are constantly tricking us. Our tendency value instant gratification (fast food, a comfy couch, drugs and alcohol) more than long term rewards. It takes practice to overcome those daily urges and refocus long term. Think about how great you will look 10 pounds lighter or how fun it will be to run around outside with grandkids.

There is no magic involved in weight loss. You have the skill, the knowledge, and the passion to be successful. So stop using words like try, attempt, or do my best. The instant those words enter your vocabulary, you have just set yourself up for failure. Instead, make the commitment and just do it!

One final thought: Why do you still have that junk food in your pantry and why are you still hanging on to those clothes that are two sizes too big for you? That is, if your never going to need them again.

(Taken from UBT's Biggest Loser Contest)

7 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Great tip! So true. And getting rid of those pants that are 2 sizes too big for you are kep and will play into the mental part of losing weight! Get rid of them!

Diana said...

I actually had the pleasure of getting rid of all the "big" clothes, I now have some that are a size smaller than what I currently wear. That way, I'm ready for what's to come!
It's a lot easier to think about it that way-IMO!

Nice to see you in blog land again!
Are you planning on doing the 5-500 again this year?
I've got big deal coming my way in June, so if you do it again in June, I will have to wait until July and squeak out another century for ya!

Annette said...

I like it! :)

Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) said...

Great post. I am going to be publishing a post today about dieting, or the lack of it in the case of how I eat.

kanishk said...

Glad you're back. We've missed ya.
Adsense Alternative

Lindsay said...

SO true!! Great post.

Carmen said...

To lose weight you just need to burn more energy than you get with your food. I've started experiencing weight problems because of my work. After 2 years spent in the office, I felt like I am becoming a part of the office furniture myself. I gained weight, my back started to ache, and I suffered strongly from the lack of physical activity. As many of my colleagues, I decided to go to the gym. Because of my tough working schedule, I could visit gym only once or twice a week. At the beginning I was excited and felt much better after training, but during the second month I used to be completely exhausted already after 1 hour in the gym. I could hardly get home. Girls in the gym told me they were taking additional nutrition to support their physical capacities. I have also tried Military Grade supplements they’ve recommended. Though, it was designed for military people, it can be used by anyone, men or women. Moreover, if it is used by soldiers, I believe it should be efficient and safe. What I especially like is their post-workout formula – Second Wind. It is available at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Post-workout-Recovery-soreness-Vegetarian-Military/dp/B00HN6ROX0/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_text_y
I feel less fatigue, less muscle soreness and much more energy. And what’s most important, I’ve lost 5 kilos in 1 month!